We're continuing our partnership with Cameron Elementary School and the West Covina Unified School District to provide an afterschool homework help program. Homework help session will be in-person and personal protective equipment will be provided. With the success of our pilot in the Fall 2020 semester, we are excited to start our Spring 2021 semester with improvements! The tutoring will be for 6 weeks total, starting January 6th and ending the week of February 10th.
Volunteer Tasks Needed
- Tutors (In Person and Virtual): Ideally, tutors should be high school aged and older. Tutors do not need any prior experience. The tutors’ primary task is to provide homework help and encouragement to the students as they complete their school homework. All tutors must be able to commit to a six-week program, with tutoring sessions twice a week (days TBD) at WCCC or virtually. This is a good opportunity for school volunteer hours, resume building, and college letter of recommendations for our young academics and professionals.
- Mentors to the Tutors: Mentors for tutors are ideally experienced tutors, teachers (church teachers count as well), or have professional experience in education. Mentors do not have to commit to being present at all tutoring sessions, but must provide guidance for and be a point-of-contact for the tutors.
- Administration/Greeters/Welcome: This is a great position for an older or senior member. The purpose of this job is to greet students, tutors, and parents; provide administrative support where needed; and most importantly, to keep track of attendance and pick- up of students, as this involves legal liability.
- Security: Volunteers for this position should be aged 18+. Responsibilities involve securing the premises, monitoring the church campus for suspicious activities, directing incoming and outgoing parking lot traffic, and making sure students remain safe while on church premises.
- Support: This position is the backbone of our program. This person’s responsibility is to pray for the program, the participants, the church, the school, and the city. Additional responsibilities that are not necessarily required are to provide supplies and snacks for the program.
For more information, contact Director Sy Truong or Pastor Kory Wenell.